Saturday, August 09, 2008

RAINY DAY GRANOLA


Rainy days make me want to hermit inside, as previously posted. They also make me want to read a good book, take a nap, be lazy, get crafty, take a nap, take a hot bath, get a massage, take a nap...did I say that already? Rainy days also make me want to bake. That is, if I'm not napping or reading a book or being lazy.




So, I made granola. Lots of granola. Don't ask me why, I just felt like it.


The secret of good granola, in my most humble opinion, is to bake it long enough so it is crunchy. It has to have great flavor so that one week later you don't feel like a horse eating its oats. The only extras you add in before baking are the coconut and the nuts. They get nice and toasty and give great flavor as well. Never, I repeat, never add the dried fruit until after you have baked your granola and it has cooled a bit.

Lots of dried fruit makes for the best granola, but if you have picky eaters, just put in what "the family" likes. You can add the other things when you eat it. I like Craisins, Dried banana, Dried apple, Dried mango, and Dried pineapple in mine.

I'd give you the recipe, but then I'd have to kill you. Ok...if you really want it, it will be in our school's fundraiser cookbook. Details to come...or, just ask me. :)

Here's to rainy days and granola!







No comments: